Massive Amounts of Jellyfish on Ocean Beach
We are under invasion. By jellyfish.
On Saturday morning, beachgoers were surprised to observe a tremendous concentration of what appear to be moon jellyfish densely packed along the sands of Ocean Beach. The jellyfish, packed in about a 20-foot wide swath, can be most predominantly seen between Pacheco and Lawton Streets.
There is no speculation as to what is behind this, other than just strange coincidence. They probably washed in last night during the high tide.
This detailed picture indicates that the jellyfish are likely moon jellyfish, which are fairly common sights at Ocean Beach. But never in this high of density.
“I’ve lived here 15 years, and I’ve never seen anything like this,” observed a beachgoer. “I’m calling my biologist friend.”
As this picture shows, the diameter of the jellyfish is about the size of a human foot.
UPDATE at 3:16pm.
George Durgerian of the GGNRA was equally surprised by the appearance of the jellyfish, and as of now, “no one is really certain why they are here. There may be some biological implication, but we don’t know about it.”
Durgerian did mention that while this is strange, it is not without precedent. In 2004, tens of thousands of by-the-wind sailors, a type of blue jellyfish about the size of a sand-dollar, washed ashore at Ocean Beach. Their appearance was never fully explained, which may ultimately be the case for this most recent appearance.
The jellyfish pose no harm whatsoever, beyond potentially posing as an inconvenience to beachgoers.
- Tweets that mention Massive Amounts of Jellyfish on Ocean Beach | The Ocean Beach Bulletin -- Topsy.com
- Watch your step! Jellyfish take over Ocean Beach | Richmond District Blog of San Francisco (richmondsfblog.com)
- Ocean Beach Jellyfish Photos | KQED News Fix
- New Jellyfish Culture « Outie Sun
- Jellyfish at Ocean Beach deemed a "regular event" by local expert | The Ocean Beach Bulletin
- Best. Weekend. Ever. | Sunset Local
- Case of the Mornings | San Francisco, For the Win
- "Bleak" Outer Sunset in New York Times photo essay | The Ocean Beach Bulletin
- Ocean Beach Bulletin | BLOGSPOT TEMPLATES
- High surf washes jellyfish ashore at Ocean Beach | The Ocean Beach Bulletin
- What are those blue, tentacled creatures on Ocean Beach? | The Ocean Beach Bulletin